Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Nona Beamer: A Legacy of Aloha"


"Nona Beamer: A Legacy of Aloha" is a portrait in film painted with the words of some of the people profoundly effected by this remarkable Hawaiian woman. She was a musician, hula dancer, composer, teacher, at a time when Hawaiian culture was still being suppressed in Hawaii. She was a major force behind the Cultural Renaissance of the 1970's that helped restore dignity and pride to Hawaiian children.

I have been working on this feature length film close to three years now and the end is in sight. This is a one woman project and a work of love. The first time I saw Aunty Nona was when my husband and I were on Hawaii Island celebrating our 25th anniversary (1998) and saw a post for a talk at Volcano National Park on Sweetheart Grandmother. Not knowing anything about who this was, we decided to go up to Volcano and see. Aunty Nona and her hanai son, Kaliko Beamer Trapp (my valued advisor on this film) talked to us about her grandmother, Helen Desha Beamer, famous composer and dancer. And then two of Helen Desha Beamer's hula students, now somewhat elderly, got up and danced hula for us. It was quite an unforgettable evening.

A few days after that we stayed at the Kohala Bed ad Breakfast where the owner, Nani Swendson, told us about how Aunty Nona came to their school when she was in the fourth grade. She said that children then weren't allowed to speak Hawaiian, at school or at home, and parents tried their hardest to make sure their children fit into the caucasian teachers' expectations. Then Aunty Nona arrived, in her Hawaiian garb, with Hawaiian instruments and stories, and told these Hawaiian children to be proud of being Hawaiian. Nani was very emotional about Aunty Nona.

I later came to know Aunty Nona through a cultural program she started in 2004, the week that we moved to the house we found during out 1998 trip in the same town. After she passed away in 2008 I wanted to do something in her memory. "Nona Beramer: A Legacy of Aloha," is my way of thanking Aunty Nona for all she has done, and my hope is it will continue to spread her aloha.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Patricia C. said...

Linda, what an amazing achievement! Nona Beamer would be proud. The poster is riveting, what a wonderful photo. I loved seeing all those faces and wish I could meet them all. The stories you must have heard!
I especially liked seeing the older women moving their bodies with such grace.

As I sit in my studio amidst intermittent snow flurries, I long to be in such a beautiful place and experience a hint of that rich, colorful culture that you have so splendidly described.

I hope that those of us on the mainland will have an opportunity to view your film. Perhaps on a program like "Independent Lens" on PBS, or in theaters that feature art films. It deserves to be seen as widely as possible! You have created something wonderful.

April 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home